• September 25, 2020

NLTP: NEC to pump N100 billion into livestock plan

The National Economic Council (NEC) has stated that it will invest a N100bn into the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP).

Speaking to newsmen, the Governor of Ebonyi State, Dave Umahi, who is also the Chairman Sub-committee on Herders-Farmers Crisis, disclosed that the Federal Government will provide 80 percent of the cost while the other 20 percent will be met by the state governors.

Governor Umahi said that the policy is aimed at supporting the development of the livestock sector in Nigeria and will be implemented in seven pilot states; Adamawa, Benue, Kaduna, Plateau, Nasarawa, Taraba and Zamfara.

According to him, “NEC adopted the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) January 18, 2019 and it is a creation of National Economic Council of course in liaison with the Federal Government.

“The committee proposed N100 billion budget to support the project. The Federal Government is to contribute 80 percent in grant to support the project while states will contribute land, project implementation structure, personnel and 20 percent cost of the project,” he said.

Umahi explained that the NLTP is meant to look into the problems of, not just cattle rearing, but animal husbandry as a whole and will transform the livestock production system in Nigeria.

“Council resolved today that there is need to look at the trans-human West African protocol. You cannot allow such movement of cattle without registration and monitoring. Council emphasised the need to continue to establish that the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) is a creation of NEC and state governors and of course Ministers of Agriculture and that of Interior are members of the committee, and it is entirely distinct from RUGA.

“States will determine whether or not to participate. The Federal Government did not impose this plan, participation remains voluntary. What we are talking about is National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) which is a product of NEC in liaison with Federal Government,” he explained.

SOURCE: AGRONIGERIA

0 Reviews

Write a Review

ibironkeeniola

Read Previous

Border closure yielding positive results – President Buhari

Read Next

EdoFAC, MADE and Thrive Agric train 1,000 bee farmers

Leave a Reply